Webinars, video campaigns and social media posts are relatively new channels for marketers to reach their customers. But, don’t let your contemporary communication methods distract you from one of the oldest, yet most effective strategies – email marketing. In fact, email ROI is an impressive $36 for every $1 spent,
If you’re still hesitating, keep reading — we’ve put together a list of email marketing statistics hubspot To demonstrate how powerful email can be. Here, you’ll find:
Email Marketing Stats (Highlights)
- There are 4 billion daily email users.
- 37% of brands are increasing their email budget.
- Most marketers who use email take advantage of mobile-friendly email as part of their marketing strategy.
- Subscriber segmentation is the most effective email marketing campaign strategy.
- 33% of marketers send emails weekly and 26% send emails several times per month.
- 77% of marketers have seen an increase in email engagement in the past 12 months.
- Smartphone users prefer to receive brand communications via email.
- Nearly half of marketers report changing their email performance measurement as a result of Apple’s mail privacy protection changes.
- Testing your emails leads to higher ROI.
General Email Marketing Statistics & Best Practices
- Email marketing is used by 1 in 2 media planners. It will continue to grow this year with 22% planning to take advantage of it for the first time.(HubSpot Blog Research2021)
- Email marketing revenue is projected to reach approximately 11 billion by the end of 2023. ,Statista2021)
- There are 4 billion daily email users. This number is expected to climb to 4.6 billion by 2025. ,Statista2021)
- Over 306 billion emails are sent and received each day. ,Statista2021)
- 64% of small businesses use email marketing to reach customers. ,campaign monitor2021)
- 37% of brands are increasing their email budget, and only 1.3% are cutting. ,litmus2021)
- The most effective strategies for email marketing campaigns are customer segmentation (78%), message personalization (72%), and email automation campaigns (71%). ,HubSpot Blog Research2021)
- 33% of marketers send emails weekly and 26% send emails several times per month. ,databox2022)
- 63% of businesses reduce the frequency of emails they send to customers based on their level of engagement. ,databox2022)
- 41.5% of brands say email marketing is very important to business success, compared to 78% in 2020. ,litmus2021)
- 77% of marketers have seen an increase in email engagement in the past 12 months. ,Not another state of marketing2021)
- Globally, Fridays see the highest email open rates (around 19%) compared to the lowest open rates on Saturdays (17%). ,campaign monitor2021)
- 43% of marketers are changing how they measure email performance because of Apple’s Mail privacy protections, and 24% are not making any changes right now. ,litmus2021)
- One of the most important ways that email marketers are adapting to recent data privacy changes is by prioritizing different KPIs. ,HubSpot Blog Research2021)
- The most effective email subject lines include curiosity, include promotional offers, and are personalized to each recipient’s interests. ,HubSpot Blog Research2021)
QA, A/B, and spam testing of your emails leads to higher ROI. Enjoy 28% higher returns when you implement testing for your email program. ,litmus2022)
B2B Email Marketing Statistics
- 81% of B2B marketers say that their most used form of content marketing is an email newsletter. ,Content Marketing Institute2020)
64% of B2B marketers say their email marketing strategy was effective at meeting business goals in 2021. ,HubSpot Blog Research2021)
- 15.8% of all email gets lost or caught by popular spam filters. ,email tool tester2022)
- B2B marketers say that new product and feature announcement marketing emails have the highest click-through rates. ,HubSpot Blog Research2021)
- Automation is mainly used in email marketing to send triggered emails for drip or nurture campaigns and segmentation. ,litmus2021)
Mobile Marketing Statistics
- The majority of email views come from mobile devices (41%), followed by desktop (39%). ,HubSpot Blog Research2021)
- About 55% of global website traffic is generated from mobile devices, excluding tablets. ,Statista2022)
- 46% of smartphone users prefer to receive communications from businesses via email. ,Statista2021)
- Apple iPhone’s native email app has the highest market share, followed by Gmail. ,Litmus Labs2022)
- Nearly 1 out of 5 email campaigns is not optimized for mobile devices. ,superoffice2020)
- Launching a mobile-responsive email design can increase unique mobile clicks by up to 15%. ,MailChimp2021)
- 56% of marketers leverage mobile-friendly email in their email marketing strategy. ,HubSpot Blog Research2021)
B2C Email Marketing Statistics
Email Marketing Demographics 2021
- 99% of email users check their inbox daily, some checking up to 20 times a day. 58% of those consumers check their email first thing in the morning. ,OptinMonster, 2020) 84.3% of consumers say they check their email at least once a day. ,pathwire2021)
- In the US, 35% of survey respondents have two email addresses and 28% have more than four. ,Statista2021)
- Consumers spend an average of 10 seconds reading brand emails. ,Statista2021)
- 40% of consumers say they have at least 50 unread emails in their inbox. ,hubspot2020)
- Email is the primary way consumers in the US find coupons from brands. ,Statista2021)
- Recognizing a sender is the most important factor in deciding whether to open an email, followed by actually reading an email. ,pathwire2021)
- The average bounce rate across all industries is 9.96%.
- 59% of Millennials primarily use their smartphone to check email, while 67% of Generation Z scan their inbox on a mobile device. ,bluecore, 2021)
- 74% of Baby Boomers think email is the most personal channel for receiving communication from brands, followed by 72% of Gen X, 64% of Millennials, and 60% of Gen Z. (bluecore, 2021)
- The most important steps marketers take when creating their emails to champion reach are to write short, descriptive subject lines, make links and buttons easy to see, and keep paragraphs short and simple. ,pathwire2021)
Apply Your Email Knowledge
Several data points will help you make the case for investing more time and money in your email marketing strategy. While you can refer back to this post at any time, you can also start implementing them in your next campaign.
Editor’s Note: This blog post was originally published in March 2019, but was updated for comprehensiveness and freshness.