Imagine waiting for an important email, never receiving it and months later finding it in your junk folder. This is very disappointing.
The same can happen between a brand and its customers – wasting the marketing team’s time and resources.
In this article, learn how to whitelist an email on all major email providers like Gmail and Outlook. If you’re a marketer, find ways to encourage your customers to do the same.
table of contents
What is whitelist email?
A whitelist is a list of approved or safe email addresses to help a spam filter determine whether it should allow delivery. If you are on your recipient’s whitelist, you can guarantee that your emails will be received. If you want to make sure you only receive messages from a particular person or company, all you have to do is manually add them as a contact.
How to whitelist email in Gmail
- Click the gear icon in Gmail and select “See all settings” from the Quick Settings menu.
- Navigate to “Filters and Blocked Addresses” in the top menu.
- Select “Create a new filter”.
- Add a specific email or an entire domain to the “From” field.
- Click “Create Filter”.
- Check the “Never send this to spam” checkbox.
- Click “Create Filter”.
1. Click the gear icon in Gmail and choose “See all settings” from the quick settings menu.
2. Navigate to “Filters and Blocked Addresses” in the top menu.
3. Select “Create New Filter”.
In Gmail, whitelisting email actually involves creating a filter.
4. Add a specific email or an entire domain in the “From” field.
The “Sender” field is where you’ll specify what’s getting whitelisted. In Gmail, you can either specify a specific email address (such as firstname.lastname@example.org), or you can whitelist an entire domain by omitting everything before the symbol (such as @domain.com).
The former will whitelist a specific email address while the latter whitelists anyone who is sending email from that domain.
5. Click “Create Filter”.
From there, you don’t need to input any additional information. just click create filter button at the bottom of the window (next to the blue Search switch).
6. Check the “Never send this to spam” checkbox.
Clicking on the button opens a new window. Here you would specify exactly what you are doing is whitelisting. In Gmail, you do this by checking never send it to spam Box.
Doing so will ensure that emails that meet the criteria you specify will never end up in spam or trash (unless you do so manually).
7. Click “Create Filter”.
Once this information is specified, you click the “Create Filter” button again, and it creates the whitelist within Gmail.
how to whitelist email in outlook
- Click on the gear icon in Outlook and select “View all Outlook settings”.
- Select “Mail” from the Settings menu.
- Select “Junk Email” from the submenu.
- Click “Add” under “Safe senders and domains.”
- Enter the email address you want to whitelist.
- Select “Save”.
1. Click on the gear icon in Outlook and select “View all Outlook settings”.
When you select it, a drop-down menu will appear. At the bottom of the drop-down menu, you’ll choose View all Outlook settings,
2. Select “Mail” from the Settings menu.
3. Select “Junk Email” from the submenu.
4. Click “Add” under “Safe Senders and Domains”.
5. Enter the email address you want to whitelist.
6. Select “Save”.
This will save your whitelist preferences and ensure that emails that match the criteria do not end up in your Junk Email folder in Outlook.
how to whitelist an email in yahoo
- Open Yahoo Mail and sign in to your account.
- Navigate to “Settings” and then click on “More Settings”.
- Select “Filter” and hit “Add” to enter the email you want to whitelist.
- Name the filter and add an email address.
- Choose to send all mail to the “Inbox”.
- Save your settings.
How to Whitelist Email in AOL
- Log in to your AOL account.
- Open “Contacts” from the left navigation pane.
- Click the “New Contact” icon and add an email address.
- Click the “Add Contact” button and you’re good to go.
How to whitelist your email address
To whitelist your email subscribers, consider using simple language that frames the extra step as a benefit to the recipient:
Please add us to your email whitelist to make sure our emails always arrive in your inbox.
Ideally, you would include this message in the first email you send to new customers to improve email deliverability at the start of a new relationship.
You can use your own personality and brand voice to craft a compelling email message.
digital marketing agency yokel local This does it well in their re-engagement campaign to re-engage with customers who aren’t opening their emails:
While the above email is serving a specific function in an email marketing campaign, you can also include a more general whitelist reminder in the footer of all your communications:
Keep in mind that not all of your recipients may know what a whitelist is, so you may want to include the steps they need to take as well. To simplify the process, you can include links to instructions for the most common web clients like this:
To make sure our emails always arrive in your inbox, please add us as a contact or whitelist us. If you have a Gmail account, follow these steps. Alternatively, if you use Outlook, find the steps here.,
Just make sure you include instructions for the most popular email providers.
Best Email Practices Beyond Whitelisting
Encouraging your subscribers to whitelist your email is a best practice that can help you improve delivery of your email, However, this is not the only factor that can help you increase deliverability. Here are some additional fail-safes:
- Use inbound methods to populate your database instead of buying email lists and sending spam emails.
- Segment your email database.
- Keep your contact information clean and delete inactive emails.
All of this is so important to ensure that your message is heard by your prospects and customers so that you stay top of mind and grow your business.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in April 2019 and has been updated for comprehensiveness.