Promoting a local business is not easy these days. Whether due to oversaturation or complex search engine algorithms, it’s all too easy to feel like no one will be able to find your business in local search results.
Fortunately, using business directory websites is an easy way to improve your local SEO, All you have to do is list your business in online business directories like Yellow Pages, Manta, and more. This is called a building citation, and it is an important piece of a local marketing strategy,
Today, Google is inserting itself more frequently between consumer and local business websites. For proof, you need look no further than Google My Business, Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP)Featured Snippets, and most importantly, Local Packs.
By creating citations, you can ensure that you appear in these local packs when people search for businesses like yours in their area. Business directories may seem like a thing of the past, but they are a great way to grow your presence online.
What is a business directory?
A business directory is an online listing of businesses in a particular location, location, or category. One way for local businesses to be found by online searchers is by inclusion in business directories.
You can improve visibility by listing your local business’s NAP (name, address, phone number) on directories, online business listing sites, and quotation sites. in addition to improving your local seoThese can also improve your ranking on search engines because the listings usually link back to your site.
Make sure your company listing has the following information when you add it to a directory:
- blinking continuously, If you add or update your business on multiple business listing sites, make sure you are providing the same company information in each directory.
- a link to your website, Backlinks — also known as inbound links — are important to the domain rating of your company’s website. consider adding a tracking link Also at the end of this URL so you can see how much traffic your website gets specifically from business directories linking to it.
- description of a company, Make sure you have a detailed description of your business that reflects your organization’s mission, culture and values.
- multimedia, Give company searchers a visual feel of your business with a photo or video of your office, your employees, or your daily business operations.
There are many location-specific and industry-specific business listing sites where you can submit your data. to start promote your local businessHowever, you should start with the larger sites and work your way up to the more niche directories.
First, let’s go over the top free business directories.
free business listing
- apple maps
- google my business
- LinkedIn Company Directory
- super pages
Online Directories for Local Businesses
When it comes to listing your business online, you are not limited to using only the above free sites. We’ve compiled the best directories on the web to list your business in.
- google my business (Domain Rating = 98)
- facebook pages (Domain Rating = 100)
- instagram for business (Domain Rating = 99)
- LinkedIn Company Directory (Domain Rating = 98)
- apple map (Domain Rating = 97)
- bark (Domain Rating = 95)
- bing (Domain Rating = 93)
- HubSpot’s Solutions Directory (Domain Rating = 93)
- Better Business Bureau (Domain Rating = 93)
- mapquest (Domain Rating = 91)
- truthfully (Domain Rating = 91)
- Angie, FKA Angie’s List (Domain Rating = 91)
- thumbtack (Domain Rating = 90)
- yellow Pages (Domain Rating = 90)
- next house (Domain Rating = 89)
- Manta (Domain Rating = 87)
- merchant circle (Domain Rating = 85)
- yellowbook.com (Domain Rating = 81)
- chamber of commerce dot com (Domain Rating = 81)
- Dun & Bradstreet Business Directory (Domain Rating = 79)
- brownbook.net (Domain Rating = 79)
- local.com (Domain Rating = 78)
- turbify (Domain Rating = 78)
- EZlocal (Domain Rating = 77)
- eLocal.com (Domain Rating = 77)
- eBusinessPages (Domain Rating = 76)
- city square (Domain Rating = 75)
- BotW (Domain Rating = 74)
- I begin (Domain Rating = 73)
- newstar locales (Domain Rating = 73)
- Spoke (Domain Rating = 73)
- golocal247 (Domain Rating = 73)
- call up contact (Domain Rating = 73)
- n49.com (Domain Rating = 73)
- Cybo (Domain Rating = 73)
- just landed (Domain Rating = 72)
- tugo.us (Domain Rating = 72)
- lacartes (Domain Rating = 72)
- Municipal Local Pro (Domain Rating = 72)
- yellow.space (Domain Rating – 72)
- hub biz (Domain Rating = 72)
- Silex US (Domain Rating = 72)
- Fyple.com (Domain Rating = 68)
- opendi.us (Domain Rating = 67)
- ExpressBusinessDirectory.com (Domain Rating = 66)
- my huckleberry (Domain Rating = 65)
- Bizhwy.com (Domain Rating = 65)
- USdirectory.com (Domain Rating = 58)
- Finduslocal.com (Domain Rating = 56)
We used a few criteria to decide which directories would make it on the list.
Domain Rating is a score given to websites to indicate how well they rank on Google based on their backlink profile. The minimum score is 0 and the maximum score is 100. Domain rating is similar, but not identical, domain authority,
Our minimum required domain rating for the directories in this list was 50. We collected data from Ahrefs in November 2022.
We’ve compiled this list for use by any business. Regardless of your industry or target market, you can submit your business to all of the above directories.
To make it on this list, the directory had to be classified as General, The only exception is HubSpot’s Solutions Directory, which is classified as marketing Advertising,
Add your local business to online directories
Making sure you have a presence where your potential customers can find you is vital to any local marketing plan. Creating citations is important not only for added visibility but also for SEO benefits. Add your local business to some of these business listings and directories today — and watch your business and customer base grow.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in March 2013 and has been updated for comprehensiveness.